The nominations for the first annual VES awards came in today and several ILM projects got nominations in several categories including Star Wars Episode 2 Attack of the Clones, MIB2, Gangs of New York, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and Minority Report. For Best VFX in film both Star Wars Episode 2 and MIB2 are finalists.
Here is a rundown of all the ILM projects that got nominated with nominees listed in parenthesis:
- Best Visual Effects in a Effects Driven Motion Picture - Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones (John Knoll, Ben Snow, Pablo Helman, Rob Coleman), Men in Black 2 (John Berton, Tom Bertino).
- Best Supporting Visual Effects in a Motion Picture - Gangs of New York (Michael Owens, Camille Geier, Edward Hirsh, Jon Alexander).
- Best Character Animation in a Live Action Motion Picture - Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones (Rob Coleman, Hal Hickel, Chris Armstrong, James Tooley), Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets "Dobby" (David Andrews, Steven Rawlins, Frank Gravatt).
- Best Matte Painting in a Motion Picture - Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones (Paul Huston, Yusei Uesugi, Jonathan Harb), Gangs of New York (Brett Northcutt, Ronn Brown, Mathieu Raynault, Evan Pontoriero).
- Best Models and Miniatures in a Motion Picture - Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones (Brian Gernand, Russell Paul, Geoff Campbell, Jean Bolte).
- Best Visual Effects Photography in a Motion Picture - Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones (Patrick Sweeney, Marty Rosenberg, Carl Miller, Fred Meyers).
- Best Effects Art Direction in a Motion Picture - Minority Report (Alexander Laurant, Alex McDowell), Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones (Alex Jaeger, Doug Chiang, Erik Tiemens, Ryan Church).
- Best Compositing in a Motion Picture - Minority Report (Scott Frankel, Patrick Jarvis), Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets "Quidditch Match" (Barbara Brennan, Jay Cooper, Kimberly Lashbrook, Dorne Huebler).
- Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Will Smith in Men in Black 2.
Here is the rundown of nominations per movie:
- Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones: 6 nominations.
- Minority Report: 2 nominations.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: 2 nominations.
- Gangs of New York: 2 nominations.
- Men in Black 2: 1 nomination (not counting best actor).
For a total of 13 nominations.
Other notable movies nominated are The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (8 nominations), Stuart Little 2 (2 nominations), The Sum of All Fears (1 nomination) and Die Another Day (2 nominations). On TV Dinotopia, Firefly, Enterprise, Stephen King's Rose Red, the Blockbuster commercials (by Tippett Studio) and Adidas' Mechanical Legs commercial (Digital Domain) were also among the top nominated projects.
You can find more information here:
Congratulations to all the nominees for their wonderful work this past year. The VES Awards will take place February 19, 2003 at the Ahmanson Ballroom in the Skirball Cultural Center.