Last night the VES Awards took place at the Hollywood Palladium in Los Angeles. ILM took 2 awards for Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, for Best Matte Painting and Outstanding Special FX in a service to VFX in a Motion Picture. Other big winners included 2 awards for The Matrix Reloaded, by ESC and others, 3 for the Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (not counting the one for actor) by Weta, 1 for Asylum for their work on Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, 1 for Finding Nemo, by Pixar, and 1 for The Last Samurai, by Pixel Magic, Rising Sun and Matte World Digital among others.
Here is the list and a bit of commentary by Masterius:
- Outstanding VFX Photography in a Motion Picture: The Matrix Reloaded "Ucap Facial Photography"
- Outstanding VFX in a Music Video: Missy Elliot " Pass that Dutch"
- Outstanding Special FX in a service to VFX in a Televised Program, Music Video or Commercial: Carnivale "Pilot"
- Outstanding Special FX in a service to VFX in a Motion Picture: Pirates Of the Caribbean
- Outstanding Models and Miniatures in a Televised Program, Music Video or Commercial: Helen Of Troy
- Outstanding Models and Miniatures in a Motion Picture: The Lord of the Rings "Return Of The King"
- Outstanding matte painting in a televised Program Music Video or Commercial: Smallvile "Insurgence"
- Outstanding Matte Painting in a Motion Picture: Pirates of the Caribbean
- Outstanding Character Animation in an Animated Motion Picture: Finding Nemo "Speaking Whale"
- Outstanding Character Animation in a Live Action Motion Picture: The Lord Of The Rings "Return Of The King"
- Outstanding Performance by a Male or Female Actor in an effects film: The Lord Of The Rings "Return Of The King" Sean Astin
- Outstanding Compositing in a televised Program , Music Video or Commercial: Smallvile "Accelerate"
- Outstanding Compositing in a Motion Picture: Master and Commander The Far Side Of The World "Storm"
- Outstanding VFX in a Television Series: Buffy The Vampire Slayer "Season7 Episode#22"
- Outstanding VFX in a Television Miniseries, Movie or Special: Battlestar Galactica
- Outstanding VFX in a Commercial: Johnnie Walker "Fish"
- Outstanding Supporting VFX in a Motion Picture: The Last Samurai
- Best Single VFX of The Year in a any medium: The Matrix Reloaded "Trailer Top Crash"
- Outstanding VFX in a VFX Driven Motion Picture: The Lord Of The Rings "Return Of The King"
We started off with a formal cocktail party and after 1 hour we were seated at our table for the diner and the main event. The event was very similar to the Oscars, with the whole setup. The first thing that started the show was Steven Spielberg, giving homage and thanking George Lucas for his renaissance in filmmaking. And from here started the first nominations, given away by an amazing group of people like: Phil Tippet, Richard Edlund and James Cameron. James Cameron gave the Life Time Achievement award to George Lucas what was one of the most amazing moments of the event. Lucas got all the credit he finally deserved, for creating THX, Digital Panavisions, ILM etc. Between all the nominations, there were some funny short film spoofs, that all showed the work of George Lucas. Tom Atkins received the 'Board of directors Award', and announced that he is retiring from VES.
For reference you can still see the list of nominees here:
The winner for ILM were Geoff Heron, Robert Clot, Jason Brackett and John McLeod for Special Effects, and Yanick Dusseault, Susumu Yukuhiro and Jonathan Harb for Matte Painting. Currently you can read an interview with Yanick Dusseault at CGChannel.
Many thanks to Masterius for the report. Congratulation to all the winners and nominees for their outstanding work.